02 May 2011

HOG Day 2011

When I posted Facebook on Saturday that it was HOG Day, my mom thought I meant we were having a good ole pig pickin'!  But, HOG Day is actually a day of service in the upstate of South Carolina that's organized by Hands on Greenville.  It's the largest day of community service in the state and this year there were over 5,000 volunteers who did over $500,000 worth of projects on Saturday morning.  Um, wow.

This is the third year in a row that Grace Church has been a part of this amazing day and I had the privilege of photographing some of our sites.  It was so fun to go around and see what different groups were doing and how they were getting their hands dirty in order to serve the community we live in.


And this is why SC boys have big trucks... to pull things out of the ground!


It was so encouraging to see people of ALL ages out serving.



My second stop was in God's Country... Clemson, SC :-)

As she told me, "I'm organizing sizes, I promise I'm not shopping!"


So many families were out and serving together.

Again, he was actually working and not (just) playing!



Two great things... Clemson and Coke (disregard that Pepsi on the right...)!



My last stop was the Pickens County YMCA in Easley.

The Benjamins were the first couple at Grace to sign up for HOG Day... so I had to get their picture!



You never know what kind of job you'll find yourself doing... but these girls were really good sports about the cold water!

One of the several HOG Day Dream Teams.

 We finished out the day with a celebration at Fluor Field in downtown Greenville.



The Big Pig Award was given to the groups who had the most volunteers and
Grace Church received it for the Large Group category with having over 900 volunteers!

We've been serving in Allendale County for the past couple of years and just recently, the Espinosas  moved down there to serve in a more direct way.  Pastor John Mole and his wife (lighter colored shirt) and some other friends came up for the day to help Grace Church in our community.
It's such a cool partnership...

No comments:

I'm a Greenville, SC based wedding and portrait destination photographer who loves to be behind the lens. I look forward to hearing what you think about the posts and images as I work with amazing people to capture life and give them images they love.
Check out the website! http://photographsbysabrina.com