19 July 2010

Bahamas Mission Trip

Just over a week ago, after shooting Cody and Seth's amazing wedding, I drove up to Rock Hill so that some friends could take me to the Charlotte airport the next morning.  The morning of the wedding, 30ish high school students and leaders from our church met up at 5am to drive to Charlotte to catch a plane to the Bahamas and because of the wedding, I was flying down the next morning to join them for the week.  I was glad to miss the 5am meet-up but sad that I was missing the first 24 hours of the trip.  But, I had an amazing wedding to shoot, so I'm glad that it worked out for me to still go on the trip!

Our purpose in going to the island of Eleuthera in the Bahamas was to run a Vacation Bible School and do some construction.  I love kids, but I also love getting sweaty and building things.  So, I was on the construction team.  Because I'm hard core like that.  Ok, not really, but I like to pretend.  Well, we were able to get some shingles put on a couple of roofs, which was pretty cool.  Wait, it was actually really hot.  Remember the sweating comment?  Anyway, I digress.

Other than going down to love on some people in the Bahamas, do some construction and hang out with the students from our church, I had a personal goal... photographically speaking, anyway.  Last fall when I went to France with National Geographic, I learned that it's ok to go up and ask people if I can take their picture.  I learned it's ok to capture people in their environment and I learned that I do, in fact, love trying to capture that!  So, as we worked and were in between shingles, I wandered and made some friends.

This was at the shop across the street from the clinic we worked on. And it may be my favorite.

Mangoes!
 
When we were almost done with the roof of the clinic, I wandered over to this small pink building that was facing the water.  Turns out it was the Local Government Office and General Post Office.

And being the nosy curious person that I am, I poked my head in and said hi to these two lovely ladies!  And I may have stood in front of her fan to cool off for a few minutes.  Maybe.

I just love this one...

It was so good to get out of the country with some of my favorite people.  The trip was something that I needed in order to take a breath of fresh air and remember that God is GOOD.  He was good in letting me go, He was good in allowing me to capture the trip in photographs, He was good in the relationships that we built as a group, He was good in the things He taught us through the book of Jonah, through the kids at VBS, and through the people we met while working on those roofs.

It always amazes me how much I learn about myself from the people of different cultures.  I'm so thankful for the travel I've been able to do in my life because it's let me see a side of God and His creation that I may not have noticed otherwise.

Another fabulous part of the trip was the local fruit... including these amazing pineapples this sweet lady was selling.  But don't be fooled, she didn't grow them.  At least that's what she told us when we asked :)


There are more pictures of the group and our daily happenings here, here and here.

No comments:

I'm a Greenville, SC based wedding and portrait destination photographer who loves to be behind the lens. I look forward to hearing what you think about the posts and images as I work with amazing people to capture life and give them images they love.
Check out the website! http://photographsbysabrina.com