09 September 2011

Fabulous Friday | The Help & Mississippi & Thank Yous

A few weeks ago, as Ben and I walked out of the movie theater from seeing The Help, we raved over the movie, the injustice of what has happened in our country's history, and what it would have been like to have lived during those decades.  As we walked to the car, I asked Ben if he realized that when we took our trip to Mississippi to see some friends, we'd be going to Jackson... where the movie and book are based.  He gave me that look that had a mixture of awe and excitement.  Everything just became a little more real!  So, even though he had already listened to the audio version of the book, we decided to listen to it again on the way there and back.  And since we didn't finish it, I have since downloaded it to finish listening... and I'm realizing that most of my thoughts - especially as I type this out - have more of a southern drawl than I normally speak with.  Normally.



The weekend was wonderful.  My relationship with these friends began with Myrna and I working together and then taking a mission trip to South Africa in 2005.  Over the next few summers, including 2005, her son joined us for mission trips to New York City and Ukraine.  He then interned with me the summer after that.  So, between these trips, going to MS for working get-aways at Myrna's, helping out with her children's weddings and photographing along the way, I not only got to know Myrna and her son, but her husband, her daughter, her son-in-law, her daughter-in-law, her parents, her in-laws, and several others.

So, since her son and daughter-in-law are expecting their first baby the first weekend of November, none of them will be able to travel to SC for the wedding.  While I shed some tears over this as we connected the dots and details soon after becoming engaged, it also became clear that a trip to MS for Ben to meet everyone was a must.  So, we hopped in the car and went!

The thing about this trip is that I not only was reminded of how blessed I am by this family, but I was reminded and completely humbled by how blessed I am, period.   God has put so many people into my life that love me and have welcomed me as part of their family.  So, not only do I have a wonderful and amazing and loving family already, but I have several other families that I've "gained" over the years.  And I'm about to gain another one come November 5!  The only difference is that this time, just like my own family, they're stuck with me :-)

Ben and I were going to stop at other signs along the interstate on the way home, but thanks to Tropical Storm Lee, it rained the. entire. way. home.  I think it let up maybe twice.  And never at a point when we needed to stop.  At least it provided lots of laughter running to and from the car!


To my wonderful and amazing and loving mom and brother (and extended family too!):  Thank you for the past (almost) 32 years.  We've done a lot of growing and learning together over the years and I would not trade where God has brought us for anything... it's made us who we are and I'm thankful for each of you.

To my "adopted" families: Thank you for welcoming me into your homes and hearts when you didn't have to.  Each of you has shown me the Lord in different ways, which has helped me learn and grow in  ways I wouldn't have dreamed.

To my soon-to-be family: Thank you for loving me so much already.  The first time I sat at Ben's sister and brother-in-law's table over dinner, I looked around thinking and wondering if one day this would be my family too... and I'm thrilled to soon be a part of you!

To my soon-to-be husband: Thank you for loving me.  Thank you for loving me as Christ loved the church and showing me, daily, what that looks like here on earth.  Thank you for being my best friend and for asking me to spend the rest of my life with you.  I love you.

No comments:

I'm a Greenville, SC based wedding and portrait destination photographer who loves to be behind the lens. I look forward to hearing what you think about the posts and images as I work with amazing people to capture life and give them images they love.
Check out the website! http://photographsbysabrina.com