24 April 2010

Fabulous Friday: Bucket List

Yes, I realize it's Saturday.  But, it's still a couple of hours before midnight and while it's technically closer to Sunday, Saturday is still next to Friday.  Therefore, I'm still justified in posting a Fabulous Friday post :-)

There are many different opinions out there about guns and how to use them and if they should be used at all.  But that's not what this post is about.  This post is about me.  Yep, that's right!  I said it.  Sometimes blog posts are selfish and this is one of those times.  My "bucket list" really isn't that long, mainly because I've been able to knock a handful of things off of it in the past 30 years (I may have just choked a little as I wrote "the past 30 years").  I've gone skydiving, I've been to Hawaii, I've lived in Europe, and I've flown a plane (well, as a co-pilot, but it counts!).  There are other things on the list such as visiting the six non-frozen continents (I have two left!), visiting the middle east, going to Greece, getting married, having children and landing on the moon.  Yes, I realize some of those are totally crazy but c'mon.  The way technology is going, I could totally pay $200k to be shuttled into space for 3.4 seconds!  Not that I have that kind of cash... and I don't think Dave Ramsey would approve of putting that on my credit card.

But since I won't be visiting the moon anytime soon, I'll work on the other end of my bucket list by learning to shoot a gun and hitting the bulls eye.  I had these huge dreams of going in and being one of those phenom marksmen that has a natural talent for hitting dead center.  ha!  The first few rounds I was lucky to not fall on my tail.  And while I was kind of disappointed with my first target practice, the instructor said I was doing well, so I kept trying.


Overall I didn't do too bad.  The holes on this target were made my a 9mm (I think) but the next go around we used revolvers.  Talk about a smoking gun... they really do smoke after you fire them!  I was totally amused by that and felt like I was hot stuff.  No really, it was getting a little warm at that point as it got closer to noon.  But I digress.  After working on my stance and aim, I started to get the hang of it and with the revolver I actually got rid of the little red dot.  Yep, that's right.  Don't be jealous... I'll be giving lessons next weekend.  KIDDING.  Do you see all the other holes AROUND the target??


Anyway, the last gun I fired was a 45 that one of the guys had brought with him.  He was giving me instructions on the safety and telling me that this one would have stronger recoil and all of that.  It looked like a sawed off revolver.  And I was a little intimidated.  I got in the ready position, aimed and fired the gun and all I heard was Wow.  I'm thinking I was way off or didn't hit the board at all because the gun kicked me back and my hands were practically above my head.  But no, the wow was because I'd hit the bullseye.  Dead center.  No lie.  So, I took a picture to prove it.


You see that hole in the center of the red dot?  That would be because of me.  No lie! 

I won't be getting my Concealed Weapons Permit or anything anytime soon but it was fun.  And now I can scratch "fire a gun" off of my bucket list.

I wonder what will be next...?

1 comment:

Christen said...

I'm glad you had so much fun and I know it's a great feeling to accomplish something you've meant to do for a long time!

I'm a Greenville, SC based wedding and portrait destination photographer who loves to be behind the lens. I look forward to hearing what you think about the posts and images as I work with amazing people to capture life and give them images they love.
Check out the website! http://photographsbysabrina.com